Thursday, November 8, 2012

On Beliefs


Two qualities are indispensable: first, an intellect that, even in the darkest hour, retains some glimmerings of the inner light which leads to truth;
and second, he courage to follow this faint light wherever it may lead.
Karl Von Clausewitz

I think that quote sums up best my thoughts today.

I've had people ask "Are you a Tea Party Member? I say "No". They say "Oh, then are you Republican?" I say "No". Libertarian? "No". . . (gasp) "Democrat?" "No" (actually, hell no).

I am simply a conservative American, the granddaughter of legal immigrants, a woman, a mother, someone who has given up 10 years of her life in service to her flag, her president and her country (even if I won't always agree with them). I was raised by a member of the Military and embraced the values of a country Dad was willing to give his life for.  I believe that the first quality of a Patriot is, and always will be, courage.

I am not one political party any more than I am one stereotype. I am  simply the face of one American, an American that believes in our Constitution and the Principles on which this country was founded. How I think may not be the way you think or others think, but then again, when I step in that voting booth it is only my hand pulling the lever. And I will pull it, believing in these things.

If I don't like guns, I do not own one.

I don't demand you hand yours over.
------

However, I believe that the lawful, proficient possession of a firearm makes me smart.

I don't think it makes me a potential killer of the innocent.
------

If I want the things my neighbor has, I work harder.

I don't demand they "share the wealth".
------

If I make a mistake, I try and own up to it.

I don't blame it on some conspiracy.
------


If I don't like what someone, brave enough to speak with their name behind it, says, I don't listen.

I don't demand their silence.
------

I do not believe that my color or gender makes me better than you, any more than being a minority makes someone noble or victimized.

I don't believe any group should have special advantages to make up for wrongs of past generations.
------

I believe that if you can't read a ballot in the English language, you shouldn't get to decide who will be running the most powerful nation on earth for the next four years.

I don't think illegal immigrants should ever have a vote.
------

I believe it takes two loving people to raise a child.

I don't believe it takes a village.



I believe in Peace Thru Superior Firepower

I don't believe we can all get along.
------

I believe that government is here to provide the freedom to pursue my goals.

I don't believe that government is here to make sure no one is in need.
------

I believe I should be empowered to work out my own problems.

I don't believe someone else should solve my problems for me.
------

I believe if you want to dine on tofu that's perfectly all right.

I'll be having the steak though.
------

I believe the right to pursue happiness means the right to fail.

I don't believe bailouts of the greedy and the inept are a solution.


I think that jobs, college quotas and promotions should be based on ability, work ethic and merit.

I think discrimination against a white male is as abhorrent as discrimination against a black female.

The ONLY bonus points in hiring should be for veterans. Period.
------

I wish to live in a country founded on the principles of our founders, God, Trust and Freedom..

I don't wish us to be more like Europe, with big parking lots.
------

I believe that if I see a news publication that has an article about Bigfoot spotted at Target and Aliens having lunch with Bill Clinton, it's not the truth.

I believe that too many Americans would buy both the Alien and the Bigfoot story if it was on CNN and someone with really shiny teeth said it.
-----

I believe that new laws for increased taxes on the job creators that already pay the biggest majority of taxes in this country makes about as much sense as the Ancient Romans using Lions to encourage Christians to tithe more.
-----

I don't believe health care is a human right.

Man's primary right, the right to his own life, establish all others, including the rights to select and pursue his or her own values, and to dispose of these values, once gained, without duress. That includes power over who I see for any medical care and who decides what care I can get.
------

I think you can politely disagree with me and that is Freedom of Speech.

I don't think because someone disagrees with me they are automatically an idiot. That always remains to be seen.

- Brigid

51 comments:

eiaftinfo said...

Yep, that about says it . . . .

armedlaughing said...

The President is already out of the starting gate by pushing the UN Small Arms Treaty, again...
Guess he doesn't own a gun and doesn't want you too, either!

gfa

Blue said...

Thanks B. We believe in a lot of the same things. Truly believe.

Rev. Paul said...

When you're right, you're right.

45er said...

I'm becoming less concerned about who was voted for than why. My concern has shifted to the idea that the majority is voting themselves the coffers.

OldAFSarge said...

I stand with you 100%. You have defined, perfectly what the American Way is supposed to be. Bravo!

danontherock said...

Sorry about the election yesterday. You don't have to be a US citizen to love freedom. The USA has always been the yardstick measure of freedom for all who cherish it.

Well written
regards
Dan

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Amen... actually, I mean... HELL YEAH!!!

Dann in Ohio

Island Bob said...

I think you are wrong on one point. Anyone who disagrees with what you just wrote IS automatically an idiot; but, hey that's just my opinion.

Duke said...

Well said. These values are something which used to be taught in schools and homes. Obliviously half the homes don't teach it and the schools went to the liberal mindset 40 years ago. If kids in school were taught even basic economics alone we would no have the clueless voters we do.

RabidAlien said...

Amen.

agirlandhergun said...

How is it that so many in this country just can't see this??

Very well said!

naturegirl said...

(Thank you for such a great compliment, the other day)

I have also thought some of the same thoughts you have just written about, especially during the past few days.....and I have also come to the conclusion of how lucky I am to have lived long enough to know "how it use to be" and to be able to remember how character was more commonly accepted rather than ignored.....I have no intention of changing or joining the lemmings, because it's not what I believe in - so I will just try to avoid being trampled by them as they run for the cliff.....

Stephen said...

Brigid, we are pretty much in total agreement in regards to beliefs. Well Stated!

And 45er, You are sooo right. Remember this?

“A democracy cannot exist as a p
ermanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville

Lila said...

As always beautifully said and exactly how I feel about it!! Thanks!

Chip said...

Well said Brigid, well said

aroundthecorner said...

That about sums up my thoughts exactly. I just didn't know how to put it in those words.
Wow....just wow.

Harper said...

Spot on, and the long trail of comments above lets each of us know that there are like minded people out there.

Brigid said...

Harper - yes, I had a very long day and am headed to bed, so just this comment for tonight to all of you.

Be strong, there are more of us out there, than not. We just are quietly working and fighting in the background, ethically, legally and with committment. Latching on to the gravy train and selling yourself out for a buck is the easy road. I've always liked a good fight.

Brighid said...

Well said...very well said!

Sherry said...

I don't know what has helped me more, your post or the comments section. I am having an extremely hard time dealing with this mess. It is comforting to know there are other people out there who think as I do.

immagikman said...

Brigid I disagree with your closing summation....anyone who disagrees with those posited values is an idiot ;)

Old NFO said...

Well said as always... And GOOD points we all need to remember!!!

A SImple Man said...

I don't believe I've ever posted here but this blog is my virtual touchstone on a near daily basis. Thank you Brigid for restoring some sense of sanity and a refocus on what is important, our core values. I plan to live my life as I always have, with honesty, integrity and morality.

Terrapod said...

Brigids bill of rights and commandments all rolled and baked into one tasty fare. I don't think you missed anything in the mix.

Cathy Monroe said...

Wish I could have said it as well.

Opinionated Grump (Rich in NC) said...

"I am simply a conservative American"
There's lots of us.
Thanks
Rich in NC

Bob in Tampa said...

Hi, Brigid, Everyone!

This may be tongue-in-cheek, but it is frighteningly accurate:

http://takimag.com/article/dear_barack_obama_a_letter_from_joseph_goebbels_gavin_mcinnes/print#ixzz2BjC7GN2Y

I am concerned for my grandchildren.

Once Free Man said...

I tried this exercise in early October and gave up. Too many symbols and subtleties that kept spinning in my head and making it to the keyboard.

You hit the nail on the head, defining the core differences between American citizen and EU-West subject.

So, how do we go about reclaiming our rights as citizens? To be able to live those beliefs, you need to have a government that respects them.

Unknown said...

Yup

brmore said...

Yup

BobG said...

100% with you.

Kris, in New England said...

I've been reading you for a long time and I think I may have commented once, a few years ago.

THIS - this is what every single American citizen (yes, citizen) should be expected to memorize and recite at the start of every day of their adult lives.

Striker said...

Brigid,

Simple, concise, and well stated...as I've come to expect from you.

So, what to do now? Well Cowboy up and start the new day with a famous Brigid breakfast, extra heavy on the amish bacon.

Striker

Striker said...

Brigid,

Concise and straight to the point, as I've come to expect from your insightful musings.

So what to do? Well, cowboy up and continue to fight the good fight....starting with a famous Brigid breakfast, extra heavy on the Amish bacon this one time.

Keep doing what you do....it's much appreciated.

Striker

idahobob said...

Excellent post!

Much better articulated than I could ever put into words.

Bob
III

Dirk said...

Check, check, check.... agree with every single thing you said. And I think a candidate that stood up and said these things in a speech - and meant them! - would win in a landslide such as has never been seen in the history of politics.

Bob said...

Thanks. That just about says it all.

But be a bit more careful on your position about aliens until you learn a bit more - and there really is more to learn.

Jon said...

Well Said.

I will add a caveat of my own (to which you may no subscribe) "Free Speech" Protects you from the government objecting and censoring your discussion. It does not keep me from knocking out someone's teeth if what they say in their exercise of Free Speech is abhorrent to me. At that point, we'll settle it with a judge and jury. But you might still be short a few teeth.

Jennifer said...

Bravo, again. It should be so simple, but I'm feeling like the supers in The Incredibles when they are all forced into hiding. Quietly saving the world and all.

Jennifer said...

Bravo, again. It should be so simple, but I'm feeling like the supers in The Incredibles when they are all forced into hiding. Quietly saving the world and all.

Mick said...

I am conservative in some areas. or at least what is conservative by the masses; libertarian in others. In conversations folks generally refer to me as a Republican. I ask them to kindly read a history book about our Constitution, preferably printed before 1920, then we can chat again; I prefer "Constitutionalist" if a label must be used. Thank you, Brigid, for spelling out large almost exactly my line of thinking. My hope is to pass this to the next generation.

Kalashnikat said...

Regarding the last part:

I don't think because someone disagrees with me they are automatically an idiot. That always remains to be seen.

If that person aligns themselves with a party, a regime, a Government that does not take into account that my beliefs are contrary, and would force me against faith or against conscience, to do something I believe to be not just wrong but unconscionable, say, forcing my church to pay for abortions, then that person has proven themselves to have not just a differing opinion, but trying to impose their morality or lack thereof on me...that's not acceptable.

Greg said...

Well said. As you come from a "Red" state, you probably know many that have similar beliefs. As I come from a "Blue" state, I find it incredibly frustrating that there are so many unenlightened. The unlighted in my state voted for more takes and gave the democrats a supermajority so they can do what they want. I can see more taxes, more gun control, more social programs and a lot less liberty in the future. Again, well said and I wish more people understood what real liberty is.

ProudHillbilly said...

Spot on! I'm not at all clear why so many people want to be like Europe - our ancestors left there for a reason.

joated said...

Lovely set of beliefs. And a great essay to espouse them. Well done, Brigid.

Keads said...

Wonderful post and one that mirrors my beliefs as well.

A Blog lurker of mine and yours (Mr Curmudgeon himself) called me tonight to tell you that you knocked this one out of the park, a grand slam.

I concur with this man's assessment.

purplemagpiesnest said...

Reading this post and the comments has lifted my spirits after a dreadful and depressing election week. As Trace Adkins's song says: "Tough times don't last, but tough people do." You're one of those "tough people" I really admire, and it's encouraging to know there are others who are like-minded. Thank you for this post. God Bless America!

Brigid said...

Thank you all. I was delighted to find so many people willing to share their mirrored beliefs.

Keads - give you Dad a big hug for me.

Leslie said...

Thank You for putting into words what so many of us feel and believe but are unable to articulate.
From your sidebar -
"Having the moral high ground is good. Having the moral high ground and a meson gun is better."
Hang tight, we will prevail!!

markshere2 said...

"I believe that if you can't read a ballot in the English language, you shouldn't get to decide who will be running the most powerful nation on earth for the next four years.

I don't think illegal immigrants should ever have a vote."

Agree and one more for you:
If you do not contribute to the treasury, you should not get a voice in how it is spent. No Taxes should = No Representation.