Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Get These Hards Times Right On Out of Our Minds


A number of folks I hang out with are Law Enforcement, for various reasons.  It doesn't always make me popular with some crowds but the ones I know are the best people and I'm proud to know them and to have worked alongside some of them along the way.

It's a tough job, it's a stressful job, and sometimes, well sometimes, you just do what you can to relieve a little tension.

The names in this story have been changed, but any of you who were growing up in the mid 70's will know exactly what I'm talking about in this MUCH more recent tale.



"B" was a little tuckered out and moving slow, trying to get a bite to eat as a call went out on the radio to  all of the locals - there was a complaint and a possible danger to the public in this dark, flat land.  Having  busted down its stall perhaps, "a pony running free in the roadway". 

Laughing, "B" grabs the cellphone and hits the call button for the the local LEO dispatch as the young and "wet behind the ears" Deputy is accepting the call on the radio.

"It's "B", I'll pay you $5 to get on the radio and say the pony's name is Wildfire..."

 It wasn't 5 seconds later..

"Complainant advises pony's name is Wildfire."

You could almost hear the laughter across the county and the diligent young man does NOT put it together.

On scene, he even confirming with the horse's owners that the name was, indeed, Wildfire so that he could accurately note it in the report. Word is the owners just looked at him like he was perhaps a bit  strange. It wasn't until he had closed out the call and was back at headquarters asking, "What did it matter what its name was. . . . . .?"

"oh, damn it!"

You all have a safe day out there, be mindful of flooding and wind and watch out for ponies in the road (rear ending a pinto never turns out well).

22 comments:

Dirk said...

Oh, great. Now I have that stuck in my head. :)

Rev. Paul said...

Sounds about right, now that I've stopped laughing ... that's pretty close to things done while carrying a badge, years ago. :) Thanks for the smile.

GreyLocke said...

Just had to post this:

http://youtu.be/1zxjBEiAI_Q

Shepherd K said...

That's funny, but now I have to go listen to some Pantera to wash that song right out of my hair. Great! now look what you made me do.

Alison said...

just wanted to say thank you for helping me start my day with a smile, and I needed help this morning... ponies in the road, indeed...

For some reason it reminded me of the time there was a black bull in our front yard (back when I didn't live in the city) on Halloween, and not one from the cattle across the road, but that is where the deputies ended up chasing him, yup, into the pasture with someone else's cows. Had a few different colored calves that springtime, they did...

Old NFO said...

Martin Michael Murphey 1975... :-)

On Wildfire we're gonna ride
Gonna leave sodbustin' behind
Get these hard times right on out of our minds
Riding Wildfire

Bob said...

Damn, don't know how that maudlin stuff ever made it into the top 10. De gustibus non est disputandum, I guess.

Remember Seasons in the Sun? and Billy Don't Be a Hero?

Auntie J said...

I am (strangely) too young for this post.

I had to google the dumb thing, figured it out toot sweet, and didn't get past the introduction to a song that I could clearly tell was going to be an evil earworm.

Given how old last week's vacation made me feel, this is something of a bonus.

Don't hate me because I'm byooteeful. ;)

Brigid said...

Auntie J - I understand, my partner is 20 (mumble) years younger than I and I occassionally get that slightly puzzled look when I mention retro things, but he was quite happy to find me totally rocking out to Metallica in the car one day (I can still do that whip the 80's style hair thing around with enough caffiene)

Nothing like sharing bad ear worms with another generation.

naturegirl said...

LOL, you youngsters...

Before that song, it was "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying" as one of the most annoyingly over-played songs of the prior decade.....

Larry said...

Not a good thing for the Pinto anyway...


and now to wash away the earworm...

Michael W. said...

The all time WORST song of that type:

Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.

After listening to that, you would be willing to take red hot
knitting needles and burn out your own ear drums.

Mac from Michigan said...

Michael -

Dunno....I always thought that "Sugar Sugar" had that title....

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

"Ya never learn, Ride a painted pony, Let the spinnin' wheel turn"...

Now THAT is dating myself...

Dann in Ohio

On a Wing and a Whim said...

Brigid - Sadly, it's not just an age thing. My partner is twenty-mumble years older than my current claimed age, and he gets this lightly glazed look of "must be an American culture reference." He gets it a lot.

As for the prank - that was $5 well spent! Good one! ...For whoever did it, I mean. :-)

Brigid said...

Dann - I so smiled at that. I had a college friend who was TERRIFIED of flying. I FINALLY got him to agree to go up in one of the little airplanes I taught in.

The weather was good, the wind totally calm.

He was doing pretty good until the drive to the airport, and the song on the radio from the retro station started with "What's goes UP, MUST come DOWN. . ."

On a Wing - tell older and calmer half that I understand. I've traveled enough worldwide in my profession to totally shake my head at some things (as the locals were likely doing about me)

Six said...

Bwahahahaha!!! Lord, I do so love rookies. Thanks for the belly laugh Brigid.

Mike in Wa said...

Thanks B. I think you managed to shave 20 years off of how old I feel tonite. Crikey, is it Friday YET?

Semper Fi

BePrepared said...

Hrmmmm. First thing I thought of was Rex O'Herlihan in "Rustler's Rhapsody"... "On Wildfire ON!"

Lynne F said...

She ran calling...

Too Funny!!!!!

PPPP said...

Brigid - Me totally rocking out to Metallica in the car one day (I can still do that whip the 80's style hair thing around with enough caffeine).

Pics or it didn't happen! :-)

Michael W - Hey! I liked Bobby Goldsboro. Even wrote an English paper on his "poetry" in high school.

Mac - Funny, I've actually been singing bits and pieces of Sugar, Sugar to my wife lately, twisting the lyrics as necessary.

Bob - Seasons in the Sun? Maybe, but Billy Don't Be a Hero? Oh, yeah, that one I remember.

Brigid - Tee Hee !! What goes up must come down. Did he go up with you anyway?

Auntie J said...

I think you'd enjoy Rock Sugar, frankly...if not, you'd have a great deal of fun watching your partner's expression as he listens to something he thinks he's going to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4HffbAUTk

Okay, so this is my newest musical crack, but nobody ever said I was normal. ;)