Thursday, November 23, 2006

Hotscakes!

3/4 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (trust me on this one)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg (at room temperature)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla (I use Penzey's)

several pices of bacon per person

Combine milk with vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to "sour". Sour milk is often used as a substitute for buttermilk, but you don't have to waste a container of buttermilk that won't get used up, and the apple cider vinegar sour milk mixture gives it a really good flavor you don't get from straight buttermilk.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg,  melted  butter and vanilla into "soured" milk. Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and gently whisk until lumps are gone.The mixture will foam up when you stir.  Once the biggest lumps are gone, do not restir.

While batter sits for 20-25 minutes (repeat after me: do not restir), heat a large griddle and cook up some bacon.  When bacon is done, remove to keep warm.  Remove most of the drippings by pouring off the grease, leaving just a bit in the pan or griddle.  Blot and rub gently, ensuring the surface is evenly covered with a slight sheen of grease but not so much that it puddles on the pan.

Pour 1/4 to  1/3 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook on medium heat until bubbles appear on the surface and the edges appear slightly dry. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.Serves 2-4 people.

Honey butter - whip a cube of softened butter, 3-4 tablespoons of honey and a tiny pinch of cinnamon with a hand held electric mixer until light colored and fluffy.  Also good with maple syrup and a tiny pinch of cayenne in place of the honey and cinnamon.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Brigid I'll have to try the cider vinegar/milk trick; I got tired of tossing a half container of buttermilk myself. So I switched to Sa-Co cultured buttermilk powder but when it's kaput I'll definitely try the vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me with your recipes....vinegar? Really? I would have never thought about using itin hotcakes but after your explanation....dang it sounds good!! I'll definitely be trying this ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say thank you for sharing this cool posting about apple cider vinegar hotscakes. This is exactly what I need, Thanks a lot. Keep blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.