Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas


As most of you have already read, Christmas didn't turn out in the least as I planned, being pretty much immobile and in a lot of discomfort with the blown out knee, not able to visit family or friends out of town. But with the warm thoughts of friends, and a couple of companions who refuse to leave my side, it turned out just fine.


To all of you who sent cards and packages, thank you. I'm sitting in some warm and fuzzy outer wear, with slippers and a cup of coffee from my new Kureg coffee machine, books to read (Red Green!), and new videos to watch (Wallace and Gromit with the nefarious penguin, my favorite). And last night, there was wine in new hand painted stemless wine glasses from friends up North, while we listened to the seasons strains of Metallica with the SFO Symphony orchestra (what, you were expecting Burl Ives?)


Santa Paws even remembered Barkley, with a stuffing free fox to mangle and a giant squeaky ball with feet (why yes, Barkley that IS annoying).


Even better, Santa got me a BACON PRESS!!! Breakfast pastry had been premade and frozen so all there was to do to make Christmas breakfast was heat up a new cast iron skillet and tools and get out the Amish Bacon that Midwest Chick and Mr. B brought down for me.


I couldn't do church, I can't even get in and out of the tub without a chair, a crutch and some serious cursing in Norwegian, but I wanted a traditional breakfast even if it took help. Such treats are always a good memory for me.

When I was a kid, we'd usually waffles, abelskivvers or pancakes for Sunday breakfast, but sometimes we'd have them for dinner as well. It was usually when the household budget was tight. My Mom quit her 13 year career as a LEO to be a full time Mom, and Dad took a lesser paying position that allowed him to be home every night. Sacrifices I know we benefited from. Certainly I remember those dinners and the laughter and the love that lived in the house 24 and 7, more than any brand new bike I didn't get.


My brothers and I loved "pancake night". Dad would grumble a little. . unless there was Bacon. Bacon I think could solve any problem. World peace. Through Bacon. Oh wait, well maybe not, but it sounds like a plan.

With or without bacon, I can sit and eat some fluffy, maple infused goodness, and watch the sun go up or down and the taste will take me back.

Sometimes Mom would make two kinds. Sourdough and regular. Or some with nuts and apples, or little bits of sausage inside, along with buttermilk ones. There would be maple syrup, and genuine Lingonberry Jam and real butter from the farm nearby.


Little bits, little bites to try them all. Dad would finally relax after a long stressful day at work, and we'd tell the tales of our day and small childhood victories. For these breakfasts for dinner, no worries about money, or the mortgage or the future. Simply bites of life shared with those you love. I'd savor one flavor, even while anticipating the next, savory, sweet, maybe nutty, the golden disks disappearing like coins well spent. I was never able to figure out which taste I wanted to end with, one taste of time that was almost too sweet to bear, or that which was so dense that I would remember it always.

Like pancakes for dinner, such was this Christmas, unexpected, not ending as planned, but full of little bits of sweetness and caring from those that have become my family.


I usually try and leave comments for all of you on your blogs or send emails but just this little bit has worn me out. Just know that I am thinking of you, even if we are apart, even if I don't say so today. Remember every gift you have, that we all are to each other, through good times and bad. For that is what friends and family are for.

Tis the Season.
With love,
Brigid

31 comments:

Sherry said...

Merry Christmas. . . I admire your attitude in getting past the crutches and bum knee. . . Not sure I could take it that well!

drjim said...

And a very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Brigid.
Hope the knee is better soon.

Sport Pilot said...

Merry Christmas to you and Barkley and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Now, I've text material to read so good day.

greg said...

Merry Christmas ma'am.

My own children LOVE pancake night, which makes daddy very happy. It's not that I can't make fancy things, but a batch of pancakes(or for variety, Johnny Cakes) is a whole lot easier.

Good Memories are a gift unto themselves. One of the things that worries me is that someday, my girls are going to forget all this. I know when they are teenagers, there will be rough spots...I just hope they never forget the time they sat on the couch with daddy for an hour watching Beakman's World, or reading the new dinosaur book they got for Christmas.

Rev. Paul said...

Merry Christmas from all of us in Anchorage!

Guffaw in AZ said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Brigid!
Garlic goldfish, Spaghetti w/red sauce (EYE-talian sausage) and French Silk Pie on the offing here!
Tradition, ya know!

Stephen said...

Merry Christmas Brigid! And thank you for the gift of this blog to follow along with. God bless.

Scout26 said...

You are never very far from my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a great day.

Keads said...

Merry Christmas Brigid! My Christmas crawl is over, now for some friends to drop by here later this afternoon for some light entertaining (and look at a couple of pistols that followed me home)!

Vic & Dave said...

We wish you & Barkley a Merry Christmas. Hope you are up & around sooner than you think!

Vic303 & Dave & the Monkeys and the Hounds of Renown!

Roscoe said...

You were planning to leave the house? The "Mythbusters" marathon started at 11AM EST. :)

If you received the W&G collection, "A Matter of Loaf and Death" requires a bit of patience but the payoff is a really cool "Aliens" reference in addition to the fun mechanical details of the mostly-automated bakery.

KurtP said...

Merry Christmas Brigid and Barkley!

Mrs. S. said...

Merry Christmas Brigid!

Rest well, and have fun with Barkley playing squeaky toy music for you.

North said...

*hug*

Crucis said...

Merry Christmas, Brigid. Take care of that knee. If you don't, it'll just take longer---much longer.

At least someone didn't bring Barkley TWO squeaky toys.

Alison said...

Wishing a very Happy Christmas Day to you and Barkley, and all your friends and family. My holiday wish for you is that your knee will heal well and quickly!

This year has brought me many gifts and blessings, and I count you and your writings to be one of them. The love of friends, family, and neighbors is a true gift that will carry me through the challenging path I am on these days (tho' the new birthday rifle also made me smile...)

Joan of Argghh! said...

Merry Christmas, Brigid.

Mend quickly!

JDP said...

Merry Christmas Brigid hope you get well soon!

JDP

45er said...

Merry Christmas. There really isn't anything bacon cannot fix.

PioneerPreppy said...

Merry Christmas Brigid. You could be seating some primers in some brass while your healing up.

DaddyBear said...

Merry Christmas!

Chad Solivais said...

Hope the knee feels better. Merry Christmas!

Mac from Michigan said...

Merry Christmas Brigid from the Great Lakes State. Here's a link that will warm your (and the rest of the groups) heart:

http://youtu.be/La7n8-b3V7Y

og said...

Merry Christmas! Hope the torn meniscus is resolved quickly, I had my last surgery three years back and it's good for predicting rain.

Hope we catch up soon, regardless of your injury.

JC Speiser said...

Merry Christmas!

It's sad that your laid up for the Holiday - but you sound like your doing good and you have MANY friends that care about you.

There are lots of us out here who will never meet you in person - never get to shoot with you on the range - never get to have a cup of coffee with you...but we are grateful with what you do share.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

LauraB said...

A lovely post, reminding me of Mom's creative solutions for mealtime. I hope your healing is speedy and the surgery goes well.

Give Barkley a hug from us...

Merry Christmas!

Retired Spook said...

When my kids were little, and I was learning to be a single dad, I often despaired of finding something that they would eat. One night, I asked for suggestions, and my son, all of three, asked for pancakes. Done!
They ate a bunch of pancakes, and Breakfast Night Supper was born.

My daughter has two of her own, and Breakfast Night is still a requirement at her house, much to her husband's amusement.

leadchucker.net said...

Merry Christmas Brigid! Hope the knee heals up well. Take care!

DirtCrashr said...

Merry Christmas and good luck with the knee-cuttin' thing - but with a pair of The Wrong Trousers you could just go all electo-mechanical with the knee! :-) I used to have that penguin mounted on my XR650L front fender - best use of a red rubber glove, ever!

phlegmfatale said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your knee -- how terrible! I admit I had breakfast envy when I saw your photo of Christmas breakfast. I'm glad you had a warm Christmas just the same, and I wish you quick and complete mending!

LB @ Bullets And Biscuits said...

Sounds like you had a relaxing holiday overall besides the bum knee and pain. Your friends rock! I smiled just seeing the cast iron, crisco and bacon press. That's just awesome. They surely know how to cheer you up and show how much you are loved. And talk about love....I love, love, LOVE abelskivvers! Yum to the yum!