Monday, September 26, 2011

Speak Softly . .


I'm back from my little jaunt (sorry, no pictures as the camera had a dead battery and I'd tell you who I was with but then I'd have to kill you). Suffice to say a good time was had by all, with home crafted beer, Italian food, and a dessert involving homemade caramel cream sauce.

I was able to take a firearm with me for the solitary drive. I have a concealed carry permit for Ohio since it's recognized in many states, which has come in handy, since Indiana's is not. The last time I drove through the state to visit friends who live there, you couldn't carry at a highway rest stop, so I don't stop there. Face it, that "call police, emergency" blue light thing in the rest stops that flashes if I get to it before someone robs or rape mes, is as scary to most criminals as K-Marts blue light special.

Face it, in the wee hours, on a deserted highway 20 miles or more from the nearest cop, the criminal will be having a cigarette 10 miles away by the time armed help arrives. So instead of highway rest stops, I get coffee and a bathroom break at restaurants that aren't "gun free" for law abiding citizens. It's a comforting feeling, especially as a female traveling alone, getting back in my truck with my McCoffee and my Mc1911.

As I waved goodbye and headed out of the drive for the open highway back to Indiana, I was thinking about something else Mr. Roosevelt said, about "speaking softly and carrying a big stick".

I do carry a stick, a tool like many others I own. However this one is forged from the steel of eternal vigilance. - Brigid

19 comments:

  1. Be ready. And when you get over the threshold, act completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alertness, Decisiveness, Aggressiveness, Speed, Coolness, Ruthlessness, Surprise...
    Where did I just hear these?
    OH, I was teaching them on Saturday!
    Col. Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense.
    One more: Timeless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... there's more to this story than meets the eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have a good time! No pics? That's sad for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the Mc1911's come with the Happy Meal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to steal that quote at the end of your missive, with full accreditation and your permission, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warthog - thanks for asking. You are welcome to the quote with accredidation.

    Guffaw - I'm glad we have folks like you and Keads and others teaching.

    TJ - I know nutting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohio does now allow us to carry in the rest stops

    We keep working to make it better

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Duck - Awesome! Last time I drove though to visit old friends from there it was a "no no". Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iowa CCW because it's where I live. Also Utah CCW because it lets me go a lot more places. Illinois seems to be right in the middle and really screws travel plans....

    Will Illinois someday come around? Nahhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm at a point in my life where I can afford to be a scofflaw. I'm at an age where my size is less than a deterrent; my gait gives my physical condition away. I do what I need to feel safe. Not to mention the Senior coffee at McD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blue - We're working on it. It'll probably take breaking the Chicago Machine but we'll get a shall-issue bill passed someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why anyone would want to disempower a law-abiding citizen (but especially women) is way beyond my ability to logicify.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CCW permitted in Cal., Utah, and AZ.
    AZ doesen't require but Nevada honors AZ.
    So pretty well covered in 37 states I think.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Illinois is a sad case. I have worked extensively with many down-state IL people, and they are all quality folks. I have good friends living in the Chicago 'burbs. It is sickening to think an entire state (and sometimes an entire country) can be enslaved by a thugocracy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just loved reading everyones comments. POWER TO THE PEOPLE! That's all I got folks.

    PS I also learned a new word.. "logicify". Who knew the edumacation I'd get through your site B :) Lovin' it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Traveling to FL this weekend. I will have my favorite flavors of "Tupperware" as you blasphemers prefer to label them, along with my AR (yes I'm paranoid, why do you ask? Why? WHY!?!) and am glad my permit allows safe passage from AL to GA to FL (and Duval county) with no hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sassy, don't even get me started on logification camps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My NC permit is recognized almost everywhere I care to go, as long as I avoid the People's Republic of Illinois. Kind of a pain since it's right in my path to go visit the folks in IA, so I end up going the southerly route instead.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.