Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Kitchen Defense - Tactical Potluck Recipe

The holidays will be here in just a couple of months.

BE PREPARED!

You never know when you'll be asked to bring a tasty dish to a gathering. With a few simple ingredients, which many of us have on hand anyway, this is a recipe that will have them reloading at any potluck or family get together.

It's not at all photogenic, but outside of peeling the potatoes, it's quite easy to make and is always one of the first dishes emptied. This dish has survived the scrutiny of Lutheran Basement Church Women (what, no peas?) on my Mom's side and the Irish side of the family (potatoes!)


Brigid's Best Potatoes

3 and 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled or not, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried dill
small sprig fresh basil, chopped roughly in small pieces
Mix together: 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, and a pinch of Penzey's garlic powder (or your favorite brand)
3 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 10 ounces whole cheese)
1 and 1/3 cups whipping cream
1 and 1/3 cups chicken stock (I use homemade which I make and freeze but you can use chicken broth)
1/4 cup Dijon and white wine mustard (the Grey Poupon brand is quite good for the price)

Heat oven to 400 F. Butter a 2-3 quart shallow baking dish. Overlap 1/3 of the potatoes in dish, sprinkle lightly with 1/3 of the salt/pepper/garlic mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp dill and 1 cup cheese.

Repeat layering twice, using the rest of the potatoes, divided, 1/2 t. dill and 1 cup of cheese for each layer, sprinkling with the remaining salt/pepper/garlic mixture.

Lightly whisk the cream, chicken stock and mustard in bowl. Stir in chopped basil and pour over the potatoes.

Bake until the top is crusty and starting to brown and the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.

400 degrees for 1 hour, or 325 for 2 hours.

21 comments:

  1. I just may have a use for this...Thanks!

    It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no onions I can try this one.
    It does sound good.
    I will save this.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potatoes au gratin: Great cheese choice, forever imprinted in my mind by my Mum's description of the proper French Onion Soup recipe -- a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An old story in the family about a fella invited to an Adirondack deer camp who said "Anybody mind if I take all the brown?" as he was scraping the top off Irma's scalloped potatoes. Not a word spoken. He got his deer that weekend. And he was never invited back.
    Irma was a big NYS cheddar fan. I'll try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another must-have to add to our list of Brigid Cuisine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANOTHER delicious recipe I can't pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You forgot the layers of thinly sliced smoked Spring Salmon between the potatoes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to try this one, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy.... as soon as I'm done with pistol grip therapy I'll have to try this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not big on the dill, but everything else sounds scrumptious!
    You realize you could probably flash-freeze this stuff (and everything else you create using bacon and/or chocolate) and have a going overnight shipping food concern!
    Built in customer-base, right here!
    gfa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robert just discovered Au gratin Potatoes last visit. Sadly, it was the boxed variety, but he loved them anyway.

    I think these will make our heads explode from the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paired with a good ham steak and biscuits and that is one hellva meal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe. However, I was looking at the ingredients and I see you overlooked the cayenne. Must have been an over-site, right? I mean how can there be no cayenne?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zdog9 - I LOVE salmon, but never been a fan of the smoked variety u ntil I tried a can of this stuff in Astoria. Yummm.

    Guffaw - I have never used dill, not being a big fan either, but it really works in this one.

    Scout26 - the boy would love these. I think you both would.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK, I have to ask, did no one notice that Mrs. Potato Head's weapon in hand is a potato peeler, or am I the only one with a really warped sense of humor? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, noticed the potato peeler, and my first thought was, where did she get an old timey peeler like that one? Looks like a granny hand me down. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dick - I love old tools and gadgets and that includes the kitchen variety.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Josephson's? Worked for Mike a long time ago, he learned from his grandfather. Some, (very few), people can do a good job smoking fish. Whole lot fewer than those who try. I've a neighbor who excels at it. Ate the last of a 25# Chinook I caught on the last day of Buoy 10 season this evening. Have a silver I salted that I'll do with the potatoes when the weather cools off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Robert: "Oh my god, these are sooooo good."

    As he shovels them into his maw.

    Me: "Dude, slow down and chew, you'll taste more of them that way."

    Needless to say, another Grand Slam. We humbly await your next masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yesterday, I made the 80 mile trek to COSTCO, and they had Gruyère cheese!

    Now, I will try this recipe.

    Bob
    III

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog for family that lives far away. Now that they are gone, it continues on to share those memories.

Comments are welcome,but if you have a fake name, no blog and only comment on the rare occasion to criticize or offer advertising for a business I've never heard of, you go straight to SPAM.