Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Look it's BACON !

BACON! BACON!

Bacon Infused Venison Burgers with Bacon Coleslaw.

Venison, while very healthy, can be a bit dry, so to the venison burger I added bacon, and bacon drippings, some spice and seasoning and a couple other not so secret ingredients. Serve with your favorite toppings, cheese, lettuce, etc. or for a change of pace add a couple tablespoons of bacon coleslaw on top, which has chunks of pepper and lots of peppery, smoked bacon in it. Bacon a deux. It doesn't get any better.

It was dark when the photos were taken, but click to enlarge.

6 slices bacon, finely diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 shallots, minced
2 pounds ground venison
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Guinness
1 teaspoon McCormick Monterey Hamburger (or Steak) Seasoning
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 egg, beaten with a fork

Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until browned and crispy. Remove bacon, leaving most of the grease (there's not a whole lot for just six pieces). Add garlic and shallot to bacon drippings and cook and stir until softened on medium heat, about 3 minutes; then remove and add to bacon.

When cooled, mix in venison, Worcestershire sauce, Guinness, (oh look there's most of a can just going to waste), parsley, salt, pepper, steak seasoning and egg until evenly combined.

Refrigerate for 15 minutes while you heat up an outdoor grill to medium-high. Shape into six patties and grill.

click to enlarge photos

14 comments:

Brigid said...

Note: The buns in the photos were the big bakery kind, not the little wonder buns. Recipe makes a generous sized patty.

Paladin said...

Yum!... Gotta love an Infidel Burger :)

Joshkie said...

MMMmmmm...Is there anything not made better with bacon?

Carol said...

You have neglected to include one essential item in your previous post - the forklift needed to move me away from the table after eating one of those burgers.

Roscoe said...

How about bacon grease eggnog to wash it down. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rUEpmbdZLw

Hat Trick said...

Are you trying to derail my diet? :-)

Don't worry, I don't have any venison on hand.

Keads said...

Yes sometimes Venison needs some help. My Grandmother made the most wonderful sausage balls from it. According to the old school Grandmother rules she would not tell anyone how she did them! It seems to be passed on to the next generation, my Mother will not give the the recipe for her killer meat loaf!

Well Done!

Bacon makes everything better!

ViolentIndifference said...

Needs more bacon.

John B said...

Wow! That makes me want to walk outside with a handful of cracked corn, and lure in one of our tame deer.

That and fine grind the coleslaw to compensate for the missing upper teeth.

Happy Holidays Darling Friend
John

Solus said...

Not enough Guinness. I used 2 tablespoons....one each from two cans.

Downside was that then I had TWO cans going to waste.....=)

idahobob said...

Really!! Not the thing to be reading about while currently on a diet! :)

Bacon....ummm....bacon...need bacon!

But darn, can't have bacon right now.

Bob
III

Old NFO said...

Ack... I keep making your recipes, I'm gonna weigh 400 lbs... Now, if the venison comes back from the processor anytime soon... :-)

PPPP said...

I knew better than to read one of your food posts at 5 pm.

Really. I did know better.

Of course, I also knew it would be very good.

Sob! I just didn't know how good.

I gotta go eat my lunch now. I'm suddenly very hungry.

Rick Kratzke said...

Hold on a minute while I wipe the drool off my monitor. That just absolutely sounds mouth watering.

Happy New Year!

Whitetail Woods Blog / Deer Hunting and Blackpowder Shooting at it’s best.