Thursday, December 21, 2006

Vanilla Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting



Makes about two dozen good sized cupcakes. The basic recipe came from a friend and I tweaked it, the original source is unknown. 

1 3/4 cups  King Arthurs cake flour
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, chopped into fairly small chunks
4 large eggs (at room temperature)
1 cup milk (not skim)
1 teaspoon Penzey's Mexican Vanilla
1/8 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 325° With an electric mixer with a paddle attachment,combine flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Mix on low speed until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl down with a spatula as it mixes. Add butter pieces, mixing until just coated with flour.

In a small bowl mix together the liquids, eggs, milk, Penzey's vanilla and almond extract. Whisk together eggs, Set your mixer down to medium and add wet ingredients in 4 equal parts, scraping down sides of bowl before each addition; beat until ingredients are incorporated.  But do NOT overbeat!.


Divide batter evenly among two cupcake pans, using the little paper liners if you like.  Fill each about 2/3 full,. Bake, rotating pan halfway 17-21 minutes, inserting a toothpick into one in the center at about 19 minutes.  If it comes out clean, it's done 

Unless you have a really big oven, you'll have to cook one pan at a time to do the turning, but it does make them cook nice and evenly.

Cool on a wire rack and frost when cool. Top with crumbled Cadbury Flake chocolate, or shaved chocolate of your choice.


Milk Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting

1/2 pk (11.5-oz) Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips (NOT semisweet chips)
3 tb unsalted butter; room remperature
1 tb Frangelica (hazelnut flavored liquor)
2 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

small drop of Penzey's  Mexican vanilla
1/3 cup cream


Carefully melt the chips in a microwave or over a pot of simmering water, set aside while you mix up the rest and set aside; In a large bowl, combine butter and Frangelica (replacing with a teaspoon of vanilla if making these for the kids), and a drop of vanilla and beat it well with a hand mixer. Carefully blend in the melted morsels, alternating with powdered sugar and heavy cream. It makes a couple of cups of frosting.

2 comments:

  1. I did try that frosting and I thought I'd let you know it was fantastic. I made strawberry cupcakes instead, though, because I'm not sure where to find cake flour--does all-purpose flour work or is cake flour something special? Just curious. Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brigid, I tried these cupcakes and sent them to school with my daughter for her 3 grade class party. I have now given the recipe away to most of the moms in the class. The one thing that I did add was grated chocolate to the top of the cupcakes, I use a Salad Shooter to grate the chocolate and this gives a very nice appearance to the finished product. Thanks so much for the cupcake recipe I hope you post more great recipes.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away.

This is for them. I share it, but it is ultimately a gift to my family. Links here should be work friendly, kind and safe for kids. If they are not, please let me know.

You're welcome to post what you wish on your blog - but even if I like you, it doesn't mean I want my family to read it.