Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cheddar Peppered Biscuit Bites



Cheddar Peppered Biscuit Bites.

4 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lard
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 and 1/2 cups sharp cheddar (I used a combination of white cheddar and Tillamock).
3 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
1 andc 1/2 cups whole milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1 teaspoon water.

preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a large baking pan and set aside. In a big bowl, combined flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in lard and butter with a pastry blender until you have course crumbs. Sti in cheese and pepper. Make a well in the center and add all at once, stirring JUST until moistened.

Pat down out on a lightly floured surface, kneading a dozen times or until smooth. Lightly pat dough into a 1 inch thick square. Cut into four inch squares and then cut each square into a triangle (more surface area equals crunky cheesy edges). Combine egg and water and brush over biscuits. Place on prepared baking pan and bake until golden brown 11-15 minutes. (watch carefully, ovens vary quite a bit).
Serve warm with butter and a big bowl of soup, stew or chili.

1 comment:

  1. I'm no longer a Hoosier but am out in Tillamook country (Friday Harbor, WA). Where does one get Tillamook in Indy? I never saw it in Auburn or Ft. Wayne.

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away.

This is for them. I share it, but it is ultimately a gift to my family. Links here should be work friendly, kind and safe for kids. If they are not, please let me know.

You're welcome to post what you wish on your blog - but even if I like you, it doesn't mean I want my family to read it.