Monday, January 10, 2005

Guinness and Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

Serving Size : 1 3/4 cup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion - chopped
2 tablespoons garlic - minced
1 cup tomato sauce (I use Muir Glenn organic, not for the organic part but for the flavor)
1/2 teaspoon of wild honey or a pinch of sugar
.1/4 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar - packed
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
3 tablespoons Guinness
2 tablespoons light molasses
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Chipotle peppers - minced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sauté until tender and beginning to caramalize (about 5-8 min). Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally (about 25 min). Season with salt.

Serving Ideas : Brush on chicken or pork during last 10 min of grilling.
Notes : Sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Canned chipotle in adobo sauce can be purchased at most supermarkets as that style of cooking is popular across the country.

2 comments:

  1. That looks darn tasty - I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong coffee? I drink chicory coffee every morning.

    Nothing like 120 octane to start the day...

    ReplyDelete

I started this blog so the child I gave up for adoption could get to know me, and in turn, her children, as well as share stories for a family that lives too far away. So please keep it friendly, kid safe, and open to discussion, not criticism. This is my home. You can live in yours as you wish, but this is my place.

Enjoy your time here and I hope you come away with good thoughts and memories.